wg-multicast - Re: Multicast service discovery mechanisms and filtering?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Multicast service discovery mechanisms and filtering?

  • From: Tim Chown <>
  • To: Multicast Working Group <>
  • Subject: Re: Multicast service discovery mechanisms and filtering?
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 18:14:45 +0100

On 28 Jun 2011, at 14:00, Brent Sweeny wrote:

> will you summarize to the list, too? (please)

Hi Brent,

The union of filtering responses is listed below. A list of filters applied
by all responders (5 or 6) would be shorter.

It wasn't clear from some replies whether the filtering is applied on the
organisation's border router(s), any MSDP SA announcements, or both.

I'll post a -00 draft later today, acknowledging those who responded.

A couple of responders filter uPNP, due to misbehaving implementations (TTL).

On service discovery, it was pretty much all SAP, though Hitoshi's work looks
interesting and I'll follow that up soon :)

Tim

224.0.1.2 SGI-Dogfight
224.0.1.3 Rwhod
224.0.1.8 SUN NIS+
224.0.1.20 any private experiment
224.0.1.22 SVRLOC
224.0.1.24 microsoft-ds
224.0.1.25 nbc-pro
224.0.1.35 SVRLOC-DA
224.0.1.39 cisco-rp-announce
224.0.1.40 cisco-rp-discovery
224.0.1.41 gatekeeper
224.0.1.60 hp-device-disc
224.0.1.65 iapp
224.0.1.76 IAPP
224.0.2.1 rwho
224.0.2.2 SUN RPC
224.0.2.3 EPSON-disc-set
224.0.23.1 Ricoh-device-ctrl
224.0.23.2 Ricoh-device-ctrl
224.1.0.1 ?
224.77.0.0/16 Norton Ghost
224.101.101.101 ?
225.1.2.3 Altiris
226.77.0.0/16 ?
229.55.150.208 Norton Ghost
234.42.42.0/30 ?
234.42.42.40/30 ImageCast
234.142.142.42/31 ImageCast
234.142.142.44/30 ImageCast
234.142.142.48/28 ImageCast
234.142.142.64/26 ImageCast
234.142.142.128/29 ImageCast
234.142.142.136/30 ImageCast
234.142.142.140/31 ImageCast
234.142.142.142 ImageCast
239.0.0.0/8 Scoped groups
239.252.0.0/14 Scoped groups

  • Re: Multicast service discovery mechanisms and filtering?, Tim Chown, 07/04/2011