wg-multicast - Re: Multicast service discovery mechanisms and filtering?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Multicast service discovery mechanisms and filtering?

  • From: Hitoshi Asaeda <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Multicast service discovery mechanisms and filtering?
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 00:19:30 +0900 (JST)

Tim,

> I offered to do a couple of surveys and submit the results as IETF
> drafts for the next meeting, and the deadline for material is fast
> approaching, so any responses you may have by Friday would be
> great.
>
> I would thus be interested in comments or inputs from people on the list on
>
> a) multicast service discovery or advertisement tools/mechanisms
> that you actually use
>
> b) multicast filtering that may be applied in different contexts,
> though your site border is probably the most interesting one. What
> are you currently filtering?

For multicast session/channel announcement, we think some mechanism
should be defined to replace SAP, because SAP has various issues and
easily causes problems or DoS attacks.

We provided "the requirement" draft to design the new session
announcement mechanism or protocol.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mboned-session-announcement-req-03

But unfortunately, after it passed WGLC, the chairs decided to stop
the procedure to move it forward. (You can read the mail thread
starting from;
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mboned/current/msg01015.html)

On the other hand, we then provided the new I-D, whose direction was
changed from "requirement" to "SAP limitation";
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-asaeda-mboned-sap-limitation-00

Since "requirement" seems to imply we will define new protocol/
mechanism for session announcement to replace SAP, and it is the
reason our previous draft could not be finalized, we decided to
clarify the limitation of SAP use first and hence wrote the above
draft.

One more information. In fact, we have been developing a new
multicast channel directory system called Channel Reflector. If you
are interested in it, please take a look at it;
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mboned/current/msg01100.html

> The idea is to try to aggregate current BCP from responses. Any
> contributions will of course be acknowledged and additional authors
> are of course also welcome.

I'm interested in the contribution for multicast service/session
discovery/announcement documentation.

Regards,
--
Hitoshi Asaeda