wg-multicast - Re: Multicast to Northwestern University

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Multicast to Northwestern University

  • From: Pekka Savola <>
  • To: Laura Kristoff <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: Multicast to Northwestern University
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 07:59:13 +0300 (EEST)

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010, Laura Kristoff wrote:
I just downgraded to 9.6 and immediately I started to see multicast
routes so it looks like the downgrade fixed the issue. If it didn't
work for you yesterday -- could you try again today?

At this point it looks like some issue in 10.1r3.7 with multicast.

On 9.5->10.0S5 ISSU upgrade, we noticed four major issues, two of which broke multicast but not necessarily completely. I suppose you're hitting at least 4) if it works somewhere but somewhere it doesn't:

3) IPv4/v6 multicast resolve route missing in kernel and FPCs after
ISSU upgrade or after NSR switchover. (show route
forwarding-table destination 224/4 'rslv' and similar with ipv6
missing). This kills all ASM multicast forwarding. PR/522605,
fixed in 10.0S6 and 10.0R4. Workaround: disable GRES, NSR;
commit; deactivate pim; commit; reactivate pim, gres, nsr;
commit.

4) IPv4/v6 multicast resolve route not programmed on all FPCs
(sporadic) after ISSU upgrade. (show pfe route inet6 prefix
ff00::/8 missing Resolve entry, similar with v4). Kills all ASM
related to affected FPCs. PR/542447, not fixed yet. Workaround:
restart affected FPCs.

Pekka