wg-multicast - Re: inter-domain MSDP peering without BGP FIRT

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: inter-domain MSDP peering without BGP FIRT

  • From: Zenon Mousmoulas <>
  • To: "Spurling, Shannon" <>
  • Cc: wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: inter-domain MSDP peering without BGP FIRT
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:48:58 +0300

We have not tried announcing a default route for ipv4 multicast yet, but we did try the MSDP default peer.

It seems you are allowed to configure more than one default peers:

"[...] the first one is the active default peer as long as the router has connectivity to this peer and the peer is alive. If the first configured peer goes down or the connectivity to this peer goes down, the second configured peer becomes the active default, and so on."

So this is a decent solution after all, at least in the particular case, where the downstream (stub) network runs both MSDP peerings on a single border router.