wg-multicast - Re: inter-domain MSDP peering without BGP FIRT

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: inter-domain MSDP peering without BGP FIRT

  • From: Zenon Mousmoulas <>
  • To: Havard Eidnes <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: inter-domain MSDP peering without BGP FIRT
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:48:19 +0300
On 13 Ιουν 2010, at 10:11 ΜΜ, Zenon Mousmoulas wrote:

As I wrote earlier, I have a feeling the problem is related to the fact a lookup for the originator will not match a particular MBGP or BGP prefix. It will match the default route, which points to a network that is learnt via BGP, and the next-hop for that network is indeed the MSDP peer. However such an indirect match probably will not happen if the lookup is restricted to the (M)BGP RIB.

Looking at the implementation-specific Cisco rules[1], this peer-RPF check could therefore fail rule #7 under the "original" rule-set:

•If the MBGP route for the RP is not found, the router looks up the BGP route for the RP. If neither the MBGP route nor the BGP route for the RP is found, the RPF check fails.

While under the new, "compliant" rule-set, it is noted that the "RPF- RIB" is included in lookups for the peer-RPF check: "The RPF-RIB represents the paths that are used for Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) sparse mode (PIM-SM) RPF forwarding on the router." Since "show ip rpf" already shows it can resolve a lookup through such an indirect match, I believe the "RPF-RIB" could make a difference in this case.

I'm not sure how these translate in terms of RFC 3618, section 10.1.3 rules, but (ii), (iii) and (iv) all seem relevant and should match in this case.

We tried this theory by enabling "ip msdp rpf-peer rfc3618" on a similar setup running IOS 15.0M. A default static route is installed instead of "ip default-network", since the latter no longer seems to work on this IOS.

Unfortunately MSDP still rejects SAs in this fashion, so the "RPF-RIB" either does not work as documented or it is not included at all in peer-RPF lookups. I have no idea if this could be considered a bug or a feature...

Z.