wg-multicast - Circling back around on the IPv6 anonymization policy

Subject: All things related to multicast

Circling back around on the IPv6 anonymization policy

  • From: "Joe St Sauver" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Circling back around on the IPv6 anonymization policy
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 13:30:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

[Depending on what Internet2 working groups you participate in,
you may see multiple copies of this note; if so, please accept my
apologies]

Some of you may recall that we've been working on getting a draft
interim IPv6 Netflow Anonymization Policy created for Internet2,
and we really appreciate all the feedback and helpful suggestions
we've received, both from this working group and from other parts
of the Internet2 community.

Earlier this week, I was able to participate in a 2nd Internet2
Network Research Review Committee ("NRRC") conference call,
discussing the v0.5 draft of the IPv6 Anonymization Policy.

During those discussions, members of the NRRC expressed an interest
in having a paragraph added to the draft explicitly addressing two
additional points:

(a) if the default IPv6 anonymization policy (as described in the
interim draft) doesn't work for the research that someone wants
to do, the researcher can (as always) request access to data in
an alternative format,

and

(b) should the researcher desire to do so, the channel by which
that person would make such a request would be via
<insert contact here>.

In considering those two points, let me emphasize that:

-- this sort of request for an alternative format is not expected to
be a common occurence, and

-- the new paragraph doesn't really put a new stake in the ground since
Internet2 has always been happy to talk about how it can best meet
its community's needs; this new paragraph just makes that philosophy
explicit (and explains how one can pratically goes about making a
request)

With that for background, and striving to keep things as short as possible,
the new text that I've added to the draft reads:

Alternative Access

A researcher who's data access needs are not met by this draft
interim policy may ask Internet2 to consider releasing data in
an alternative format. Requests for exceptions to this default
policy should be sent to

See the v0.6 draft at http://www.uoregon.edu/~joe/ipv6-mask.html
[HTML format] or http://www.uoregon.edu/~joe/ipv6-mask.pdf [PDF]

I'm now circling back around with y'all, as one of the groups that
earlier reviewed and provided input on the draft interim proposal,
to make sure that you all can live with this latest addition, as
I'm sincerely hoping you all can. (I think/hope we're *very* close
to convergence and getting this policy approved, if we can just
work through what I hope is this final issue)

If you have any concerns or questions about the new paragraph,
please feel free to drop me a note at either

or

Thanks for your continued patience and all your help in drafting and
moving this policy along,

Sincerely,

Joe St Sauver

  • Circling back around on the IPv6 anonymization policy, Joe St Sauver, 11/12/2009