wg-multicast - Re: IP Multicast behind Load Balancer

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: IP Multicast behind Load Balancer

  • From: Alan Crosswell <>
  • To: "Tsao, Johnny" <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: IP Multicast behind Load Balancer
  • Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 09:37:52 -0400

Yes, it's a real problem even just with redundant uplinks (e.g. HSRP).
If you are running an interior routing protocol then the RPF check might
work. I'd be interested to hear what you learn or others have done, and
with which load balancer product. I know for instance that redundant
Cisco CSMs use multicast for their own state synchronization and
failover and break user multicast entirely.