wg-multicast - Re: Testing Multicast H.264 Stream

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Testing Multicast H.264 Stream

  • From: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • To:
  • Cc: George Bray <>, wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: Testing Multicast H.264 Stream
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 12:31:38 -0400

On May 6, 2009, at 11:48 AM, Greg Shepherd wrote:

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 8:16 AM, George Bray <> wrote:
On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 9:42 PM, Greg Shepherd <> wrote:
Can you send your source address so that I may at least check RPF to
see why I don't have your SAs?

The machine putting it on the wire is 150.203.164.103

Thanks!

We found an MSDP peering session down which is why we don't have the
SA for your source.

BUT this illuminates an important question. If someone is sourcing
one-to-many content, even if not using the SSM group range,
couldn't/shouldn't the SDP file still contain the source address?

I don't know if the RFCs mandate this, but I always do this and think it
should be a SHOULD. (There are corner cases which make it problematic as a MUST.)

Marshall

If
so, any application with IGMPv3 support (or AMT) could join the SPT
without depending on MSDP. I'm guessing the SDP file was created
automatically by the streaming device/software and is strictly
following the ASM service model (even if it does support SSM). Until
the streaming vendors begin offering this as a feature, the sdp file
could still be hacked manually to add src.

Time for a thread on mmusic.

Greg

--
George Bray, The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks
CEO / AmericaFree.TV