wg-multicast - RE: news feeds?

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: news feeds?

  • From: "Richard Mavrogeanes" <>
  • To: "Stig Venaas" <>, "Frank Fulchiero" <>
  • Cc: "Marc Manthey" <>, "wg-multicast" <>
  • Subject: RE: news feeds?
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 17:55:54 -0500

At the I2 Fall Conference, I presented our RSS method, which is proposed to
replace SAP.

In essence, all transmitters send a small message that contains the SDP via
unicast to one or more registration servers. The server converts SDP info to
RSS fields, and it allows including additional fields not available in a SDP
file or message.

The server has a nifty method to prune old listings when that message is no
longer received from the transmitter.

In addition, the system support AES encryption of the stream URL (meaning the
IP:port construct for multicast or the http or rtsp url for unicast). The
transmitter sends the password in its message, and the server encrypts the
URL using the password as the key (I illustrated this at the meeting).

Further, the system has the notion of "channels". Based on the session
information field in the SDP, a unique RSS file is created, and any
announcement with the same information is added to the same RSS. Thus, users
can construct private channels where users subscribe via
http://foo/uniqueRSS.rss. All other messages go into a grand default RSS.

The advantage of this approach is:

- A XML / RSS construct is created which is easy to search, sort, extract
- Some level of privacy, if not "security" is maintained because it is
virtually impossible to decode encrypted URLs
- Non-live video (VoD) is supported, either via manual entry of the URL and
data into the server, or by announcing VoD assets dynamically

This is up and operational today and I've asked if there were people in this
group interested in working on it, perhaps leading to an RFC.

I've been remiss in not sending the Presentation to Allen for posting...I've
been on the road almost full time since the meeting and have not had the
change to forward it...but I will :)

/rich

Rich Mavrogeanes
Founder