wg-multicast - Re: news feeds?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: news feeds?

  • From: Frank Fulchiero <>
  • To: "Tony Ballardie" <>
  • Cc: wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: news feeds?
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 11:51:09 -0500

On Nov 4, 2008, at 9:22 AM, Tony Ballardie wrote:

Seems to me programming on multicast has pretty much stagnated, if
not gone backwards.
Or else it's just harder to find.

I think just the latter, largely due to no standardized means of
announcing the content since sdp/sap announcements have become more or
less obsolete.

What we need is a web-based model. Hitoshi Asaeda and his group in Japan
have been working on the Channel Reflector which is web-based, and I
think in beta testing?

Channel Reflector will be useful in many cases, I hope, but my feeling is that a discovery mechanism is also needed in the players themselves.
We can flip the channels on a TV to see what's on, or auto-scan the FM frequencies for stations.
Would be nice if there were a similar auto-discovery mechanism for internet video.

Not to diminish the importance of Hitoshi's work, but why should a web browser be needed to watch a video?
Do you need to fire up a browser to watch television?
Seems like we are going back 50 years in usability, in some ways.
Just my humble opinion..

Frank