wg-multicast - Re: in-addr.arpa delegation for glop addresses

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: in-addr.arpa delegation for glop addresses

  • From: "David Farmer" <>
  • To: , Matthew Davy <>
  • Cc: , Scott Bertilson <>
  • Subject: Re: in-addr.arpa delegation for glop addresses
  • Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 10:56:02 -0500

Matt,

We got our's delegated a long time ago for much the same reason, to
normalize managements of assignments. But, I just talked to Scott Bertilson
and he said something about some of the roots having lame or different
information. MAybe, Scott can provide details.

Bill,

Are you still delegating GLOP in-addr.arpa?

Thanks.

On 1 Oct 2008 Matthew Davy wrote:

> I did a google search on in-addr.arpa delegation for GLOP addresses
> and the only thing relevant that turned up was an email from Bill
> Nickless to this same list in January of 2001. There was no answer
> to his email on the list.
>
> Has anyone been able to get the in-addr.arpa domain for their GLOP
> address delegated to them ? It appears that ep.net is authoritative
> for 233.in-addr.arpa and therefore they would need to delegate
> these. I tried contacting them a couple of times in 2004, but never
> received a response.
>
> Does anyone else see value in having these delegated to their
> servers ? The reason I want to do this is that I'd like to leverage
> our existing process for requesting static IPs (ie sending a request
> to our DNS admins) to assign multicast group addresses. It would be
> nice (although probably not absolutely required) if we could insert
> in- addr.arpa entries for them.
>
> Thanks !
>
> - Matt

David Farmer Email:

Office of Information Technology
Networking & Telecomunication Services
University of Minnesota Phone: 612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE Cell: 612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029 FAX: 612-626-1818