wg-multicast - Re: need a short test please

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: need a short test please

  • From: Frank Fulchiero <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Tim Chown <>, wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: need a short test please
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 14:04:12 -0400

Hi Rich, thanks for the all info...as this is a bit OT, will keep my reply brief. May ask you more off-line.

There are not many choices for setting parameters in live encoding with QT Broadcaster and Wirecast, the apps we use.
We only use a DVD carousel going to a Canopus ADVC110 S- video>Firewire DV to simulate a live stream.
Unfortunately, the view outside my office is a bit boring for a webcam.

For on-demand, I am using Telestream's Episode (2-pass), which has lots of options, and limiting myself to 1.5 mbps for H.264 video.
Episode uses the Dicas encoder
http://www.streamingmedia.com/article.asp?id=10570

Bottom line from above:
"Overall, if you’re in the market for an H.264 encoding tool, I would definitely prioritize any tool with the MainConcept codec, though the advantage over the Dicas codec is very modest. On the other hand, if you’re currently producing H.264 video with the Apple codec, you could probably improve quality, cut bitrate, or both by switching to a tool with either the MainConcept or Dicas codec."

For playback, we use QT and VLC.
You are obviously way ahead of me!
Thanks for your feedback.

Frank