wg-multicast - Re: need a short test please

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: need a short test please

  • From: "Rich Griffin (CampusEAI Consortium)" <>
  • To: Frank Fulchiero <>
  • Cc: Tim Chown <>, wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: need a short test please
  • Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 12:34:09 -0400

Frank,

What H.264 encoder are you using? Different encoders expose various parameters - some of which may help in low-bitrate encoding. Additionally, for low bitrate encodes, there should be some care in pre-processing if that is an option. Avisynth (www.avisynth.org) can help a lot with judicious use of various filtering, de-interlacing, etc. prior to encoding in, say, x264 (http://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html).

I pre-process all off-line video with Avisynth then, for H.264, I prefer MainConcept's reference encoder - although it doesn't allow the sort of tweaking I like to do when the source or the target profile video needs help. I will often use x264 if I need to really attend to the quality of the target output profile.

H.264's CABAC, Trellis and In-Loop filtering should be used if you need to keep bitrate low and want to retain higher quality at the expense of higher decode complexity.

If encoding time isn't a big issue, I recommend multiple passes if you need to keep the filesize/bitrate at a specific level. If you want a specific quality and size or bitrate isn't an issue; then go for 1-pass CBR.

One note about DV25--->MPEG-2--->H.264 encoding path is the color-space loss. As NTSC DV uses 4:1:1 color-space there's an issue with the conversion to the 4:2:0 color-space used in MPEG-2. There a differences you should look out for in most common DV decoders.

1.) The Canopus decoder performs the RGB conversion it seems to use a luminance range of 16-235 instead of 0-255 used normally for computers. It does not seem to apply any sharpening of the decoded image (which is good in my opinion). It supports YUV2 and RGB color space. The biggest problem is the known, but never fixed "chroma mapping" bug for both YUV2 and RGB. The only way I know to fix it is with Avisynth's "Reinterpolate411" function here, because it reinterpolates the duplicated chroma lines (duplicated by the codec in YV12->YUY2)

2.) MainConcept's DV decoder sharpens the video a bit too much for my taste - this can increase noise in the subsequent transcoding. In both RGB and YUV2 modes it uses a luminance range of 0-255.

3.) Microsoft/Panasonic's DV decoder: Similar chroma bug as Canopus. But for those using Avisynth, use the "FixBrokenChromaUpsampling" function

4.) Cedocida (http://www.student.uni-kl.de/~dittrich/cedocida/) set to DV YV12 output for transcoding to H.264 (no color-space changes) produces the best output in my opinion.

Sorry for the scattered commentary - I don't know Frank's workflow so I'm just sharing some lessons learned the hard way.

Rich Griffin
()
(216) 589-9626 ext. 158
OSTN

Frank Fulchiero wrote:
Thanks everyone.
I'm still learning about H.264 encoding at lower bit rates, and the QT Broadcaster stream is coming from a DVD changer (DV>MPEG2>MPEG4), so hopefully quality will improve. Some of the material was from VHS...
Frank