wg-multicast - RE: SAP source statistics

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: SAP source statistics

  • From: "Fulchiero, Frank (Information Services)" <>
  • To: "Greg Shepherd" <>
  • Cc: "wg-multicast" <>
  • Subject: RE: SAP source statistics
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 12:15:36 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Fulchiero
[mailto:]

I said:
"Right, the middleware and devices are proprietary, which brings me
back to my point that it would be nice to have an open standard, open
source announce/discovery/playback system to support the needs of
R&E. Commercial interests seem to be doing fine developing their own
solutions, but beyond agreeing on codecs don't seem to be too
interested in developing open-standard free-to-use ones."

Sorry, I have plead ignorance in this area, and it shows.
I just noticed the Open IPTV Forum
http://www.openiptvforum.org/aboutus.html
It was created "to provide an IPTV solution enabling a "plug and play"
experience for the end-users and filling a industry gap making it independent
from the technology behind it.

...the different players in the IPTV value chain needed to have a "tool" to
easily develop their own products to fit into the "plug and play" solution.
The "tool" is the open standards that are created in this Open IPTV Forum"

I notice the Architecture PDF also addresses multicast standards, have not
had a chance to study it. Not sure this would include software-based clients,
or be usable to the needs of the R&E community.

Frank

  • Re: SAP source statistics, Frank Fulchiero, 08/02/2008
    • RE: SAP source statistics, Fulchiero, Frank (Information Services), 08/02/2008