wg-multicast - Recent SAP Storms, Joint Techs Workshop

Subject: All things related to multicast

Recent SAP Storms, Joint Techs Workshop

  • From: Caren Litvanyi <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Recent SAP Storms, Joint Techs Workshop
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 17:15:55 +0000 (UTC)

Hi all,
The Summer08 ESCC/Internet2 Joint Techs Workshop will be held in
Lincoln Nebraska USA July 20-24th, as many of you know.
I submitted a brief and somewhat vague abstract to the Joint Techs
program committee for a time slot to talk about the recent SAP
storms - some background, review what happened, why some networks
were affected very badly and others were not, and how we might protect our networks. Some of this, of course, is very simple
(turn off SAP listener on your routers). Some is much less simple,
like explaining exactly how/why this happened by looking at the mini-
SAPserver code in great detail, and finding good actual data about
the impact. I also hope to discuss the pros and cons of the mitigation
efforts that were discussed on the list.

I am happy to do what I can to summarize the issue as it has been
discussed here on the list and present it at Joint Techs, crediting
people as best I can. However, I would be just as happy to do this
as a panel, since many of you experienced this more directly than me,
and have been more actively looking into the code issues.

If you would like to present something as part of a panel on this
issue, please let me know by the end of this week. I'd prefer
people that are going to be in Lincoln in person, as I did not ask
for video conference resources when I submitted the abstract.

If you don't want to do a panel presentation but have something you
would like me to address or data to contribute, please let me know
and I will see if I can incorporate it and credit you.

Thanks,
Caren
Caren Litvanyi, network engineer
Internet2 NOC
Global Research NOC at Indiana University

o:812-961-3790 c:250-896-4369

  • Recent SAP Storms, Joint Techs Workshop, Caren Litvanyi, 06/23/2008