wg-multicast - Re: SAP storm from 145.19.1.183

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: SAP storm from 145.19.1.183

  • From: Zenon Mousmoulas <>
  • To: Frank Fulchiero <>
  • Cc: Niels den Otter <>, wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: SAP storm from 145.19.1.183
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 18:45:57 +0300

OK so let me see if I understand correctly:

The cause of the problem was not that a video stream (corresponding to the SAP announcement) was somehow "relayed" to the SAP group itself, as we first thought (at least I did). On the contrary, the problem was caused by miniSAPserver sending otherwise "normal" SAP announcements at the amazing frequency of 33KHz, instead of the intended 0.03 Hz. Right?

If that is so, and that is what happened in each and every recent case of a "SAP storm", then how do we explain the different bit/packet rate, assuming everyone tried to set the suggested sap_delay=30?

However Frank also notes this behavior was not consistent. So, do you have any ideas what else could have triggered it, apart from this setting? A specific video stream type perhaps?

Would someone from Univ. Paris 13 want to share their experience? Jean- Francois Florence perhaps?

Thanks for the info.

Z.