wg-multicast - Re: IGMP Mode support in Multicast Applications

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: IGMP Mode support in Multicast Applications

  • From: Stig Venaas <>
  • To: Bharat Joshi <>
  • Cc: "" <>, Hitoshi Asaeda <>
  • Subject: Re: IGMP Mode support in Multicast Applications
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 13:56:35 +0200

Bharat Joshi wrote:
Hi Stig,

Thanks for responding to this query. Please see in line.

* Do existing IGMPv3 capable applications support Exclude mode for ASM
groups?
I don't think so.
Ok. So most of the times, applications will use one or multiple source
addresses for ASM groups in INCLUDE mode.

* Also do anyone see a need for EXCUDE mode to be supported for their
existing applications or any new applications they will create or like
to use?
I don't think there is necessity to use EXCLUDE mode for general
multicast applications, except some service discovery protocols, which
usually use (*,G). In other words, no use with source specific EXCLUDE
mode join/leave.
So EXCLUDE mode is typically used to allow all and never with a source list.
While I don't know any applications, it might be useful for say
conferencing to exclude sources for muted participants.

Ok.

I am looking for such cases where it may be useful and till now I could
not find any application using it.

Right. That doesn't mean it isn't useful, or that applications will not
use it in the future though. There are not many SSM applications yet
either... The API is not available on that many platforms and many
developers don't know how to use it. I would rather try to see if the
theoretical uses are so important that we want to keep the complexity,
or if it's not worth it...

The biggest issue I see is that if someone uses EXCLUDE mode, though he
might be able to avoid traffic from some specific individual but with
this he might start getting unwanted traffic from all others which he
did not even know existed.

For some applications it is easier to use ASM than to try to detect
sources out of band... Not very secure, but it is kind of sufficient
today. Perhaps if you could also exclude anyone misbehaving...

Anyway, SSM is probably the way to go...

Stig

Regards,
Bharat

Stig

I just wanted to know on how much this complex functionality
['Exclude Mode support'] being used in the field?
I cannot imagine it'll be needed.

In fact, eliminating EXCLUDE (S,G) join/leave is "beneficial" for
multicast communications. For example, it reduces host/router/switch
implementation costs and routing tree maintenance costs. It's not just
"unneeded". This is my thought.
Ok. I am also of the same opinion.

So with above assumptions, it looks like an IGMPv3 host/router part
implementation or IGMPv3 snooping which does not handle EXCLUDE with source
list should be able to work in multicast networks.

for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient,
please notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further,
you are not to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to
any other person and any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain
viruses. Infosys has taken every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk,
but is not liable for any damage you may sustain as a result of any virus in
this e-mail. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening the
e-mail or attachment. Infosys reserves the right to monitor and review the
content of all messages sent to or from this e-mail address. Messages sent to
or from this e-mail address may be stored on the Infosys e-mail system.