wg-multicast - RE: IGMP Mode support in Multicast Applications

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: IGMP Mode support in Multicast Applications

  • From: Bharat Joshi <>
  • To: Hitoshi Asaeda <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: IGMP Mode support in Multicast Applications
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 19:03:00 +0530
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

Hi Hitoshi,

Thanks for you response. Please see my response in line.

Regards,
Bharat

> >* Do existing IGMPv3 capable applications support Exclude mode for ASM
>> groups?
>
>I don't think so.

Ok. So most of the times, applications will use one or multiple source
addresses for ASM groups in INCLUDE mode.

>> * Also do anyone see a need for EXCUDE mode to be supported for their
>> existing applications or any new applications they will create or like
>> to use?
>
>I don't think there is necessity to use EXCLUDE mode for general
>multicast applications, except some service discovery protocols, which
>usually use (*,G). In other words, no use with source specific EXCLUDE
>mode join/leave.

So EXCLUDE mode is typically used to allow all and never with a source list.

>> I just wanted to know on how much this complex functionality
>> ['Exclude Mode support'] being used in the field?
>
>I cannot imagine it'll be needed.
>
>In fact, eliminating EXCLUDE (S,G) join/leave is "beneficial" for
>multicast communications. For example, it reduces host/router/switch
>implementation costs and routing tree maintenance costs. It's not just
>"unneeded". This is my thought.

Ok. I am also of the same opinion.

So with above assumptions, it looks like an IGMPv3 host/router part
implementation or IGMPv3 snooping which does not handle EXCLUDE with source
list should be able to work in multicast networks.

for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient,
please notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further,
you are not to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to
any other person and any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain
viruses. Infosys has taken every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk,
but is not liable for any damage you may sustain as a result of any virus in
this e-mail. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening the
e-mail or attachment. Infosys reserves the right to monitor and review the
content of all messages sent to or from this e-mail address. Messages sent to
or from this e-mail address may be stored on the Infosys e-mail system.