wg-multicast - Re: Multicast ISP question

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Multicast ISP question

  • From: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • To: debbie fligor <>
  • Cc: wg-multicast List <>
  • Subject: Re: Multicast ISP question
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 14:23:37 -0500

As the maintainer of that list, I welcome new additions !

On Feb 19, 2008, at 1:53 PM, debbie fligor wrote:

Foundry Networks is looking for a multicast enabled ISP (finally!), and among other things we want to be sure that there is multicast connectivity between their facility and our campus for testing and monitoring. Here's the list of ISPs they've found:

http://www.multicast-isp-list.com/

currently our multicast peerings are with I2, NLR, ESnet and a few individual campuses. Does anyone have advice what ISP Foundry should get if we want to multicast with them?

I would say that this depends on the bandwidth anticipated. If they want very high bandwidth multicasts (Gbps), I would recommend a direct connection to Level 3 or Sprint. For lower bandwidths, they should talk about setting up a connections with ISC by one of three ways:
P2P at either S&D or Equinix
Over the L2 multicast exchange at S&D, Equinix, or FixW
Or via a GRE tunnel to any remote location

They should talk to Greg Shepherd <> if they want to take that route.

I would be glad to talk to them if they have other questions.

I suggested they look at I2, as they already had some interest in member status. Other thoughts?

If they have a direct I2 connection, that is easily done. If not, other solutions will be cheaper.

Regards
Marshall

thanks!

-----
-debbie
Debbie Fligor, n9dn Network Engineer, CITES, Univ. of Il
email:

<http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/fligor>
"My turn." -River Tam