wg-multicast - Re: Redundant RP in MAN ring

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Redundant RP in MAN ring

  • From: Leonard Giuliano <>
  • To: "Quigley, Mark R" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Redundant RP in MAN ring
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 13:45:57 -0700 (PDT)

The magic of anycast is that there is no primary or backup- they are all
active and you just hit the closest one.

-Lenny

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Quigley, Mark R wrote:

-) Hello all,
-) I was wondering if there is a recommended method for configuring a
-) redundant RP in a MAN ring constructed using ethernet. I've used Anycast
-) RP and MSDP in a Cisco hierarchical routing environment. The failover
-) was deterministic and mostly transparent. In a ring, it would seem that
-) Anycast RP could have trouble; packets can come from the left or right
-) and find the Anycast loopback address on the backup RP before they get
-) to the primary RP.
-)
-) Any help you can offer is appreciated. Let me know if you need more
-) information. Thanks,
-) Mark
-)
-) Mark Quigley
-) Network Planning Analyst, IRM Data Communications
-) (509) 252-6728 desk
-) (509) 768-5845 cell
-) http://www.inhs.org/
-)