wg-multicast - Redundant RP in MAN ring

Subject: All things related to multicast

Redundant RP in MAN ring

  • From: "Quigley, Mark R" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Redundant RP in MAN ring
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 12:41:22 -0700

Title: Redundant RP in MAN ring

Hello all,
I was wondering if there is a recommended method for configuring a redundant RP in a MAN ring constructed using ethernet. I've used Anycast RP and MSDP in a Cisco hierarchical routing environment. The failover was deterministic and mostly transparent. In a ring, it would seem that Anycast RP could have trouble; packets can come from the left or right and find the Anycast loopback address on the backup RP before they get to the primary RP.

Any help you can offer is appreciated. Let me know if you need more information. Thanks,
Mark

Mark Quigley
Network Planning Analyst, IRM Data Communications
(509) 252-6728 desk
(509) 768-5845 cell
http://www.inhs.org/