wg-multicast - Re: multicast testing etiquette

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: multicast testing etiquette

  • From: Frank Fulchiero <>
  • To: wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: multicast testing etiquette
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 11:50:34 -0400

On Sep 28, 2007, at 11:25 AM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

If you want a little advice then...

Multicast is just udp and routing. If you have got one UDP stream to work, there is no
reason to push lots of stream variations, assuming that they work in unicast, unless you plan to use them.

Marshall, thanks for the advice.
One of the other issues is codec and client compatibility....specifically H264 (Wirecast and QT Brodacaster flavors) in VLC on PC, Mac and linux, and QT on PC and Mac. I mention this as in my first test stream, some folks were getting video and not others, even here on our own multicast subnet.
I did not figure out the cause of this, but then went from QT Broadcaster to Wirecast. So I will have to revisit this.

Conversely, don't mix up debugging the stream and the routing. Make sure that the stream works well in UDP unicast before you launch forth into multicast, where problems tend to be more obscure.

Thanks, will work on that also. Appreciate the feedback.

Frank