wg-multicast - Re: lunchtime multicast BoF at San Diego member meeting

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: lunchtime multicast BoF at San Diego member meeting

  • From:
  • To: , Alan Crosswell <>
  • Subject: Re: lunchtime multicast BoF at San Diego member meeting
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 19:50:01 -0400 (EDT)
  • Accept-language: en-US

Alan et al,

Based on the recent emergency of a number of commercial and academic IP video
software applications/technologies, it would be helpful to have a pros/cons
discussion on application level multicast (p2p multicast) vs IP multicast in
relationship to impact on Internet2 Network, RON networks, campus networks.

The target outcomes of this discussion include some take home points on what
application level multicast (p2p multicast) is, what pros/cons of application
level multicast (p2p multicast) and IP multicast are, and how the advanced
networking community deal with these applications that already exist on
campus or will soon impact our networks.

PC