wg-multicast - [WC] BBC start multicast (fwd)

Subject: All things related to multicast

[WC] BBC start multicast (fwd)

  • From:
  • To: , Dave Farber <>
  • Subject: [WC] BBC start multicast (fwd)
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:55:00 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 12:39:24 -0000 (GMT)
From: Gavin Starks

Subject: [WC] BBC start multicast

Hi all

This is great news (the start of convergence at last):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/multicast/

"The BBC & ITV intend to test the technical possibilities of streaming more
of their TV channels via broadband. We intend to Multicast these. This
should result in a higher quality viewer experience. We are running this
technical trial to seek some feedback about the quality and availability of
these TV channels. Please check the two steps below to take part in the
Multicasting trial."

This has taken >10 years to accomplish (back in the early IWA days I pushed
hard for ISPs and broadcasters to get involved, but it was way too early)

Another element of this, that is unique to the UK, is that this will
probably be the precursor of the BBC making UK residents have a "TV license"
if they have a broadband connection. At the moment you only need to have a
license if you have a "TV tuner" (digital or analog).

Finally, they are supporting non-DRM'd video.

Best
Gavin
--
http://www.dgen.net/biog/

Served by broadcast.net. Presented by InterVox Communications.