wg-multicast - Re: Is Multicast a Real Service?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Is Multicast a Real Service?

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: Russ Hobby <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Is Multicast a Real Service?
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 09:25:53 -0400

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 06:01:25AM -0700, Russ Hobby wrote:
> Their particular use of multicast relies on multiple multicast connections
> and for them to be set up in a timely fashion. It is the setup time for a
> connection with which they have been having trouble. Connections can take
> up to several minutes to be established.

That sounds very odd - do you have more details?

In answer to your overall question, multicast is definitely a service for
NYSERNet and for several of our campuses. We have external facing things
(events that they stream over multicast for remote viewers) and internal
(cable TV replacement), and in general they work very well. Specific problems
are usually related to network changes that have unintended side effects, or
underlying network issues like bad hardware or port autoconfiguration
problems.

Bill.