wg-multicast - Re: Fwd: input on tightening up multicast filtering

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Fwd: input on tightening up multicast filtering

  • From: John Kristoff <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Fwd: input on tightening up multicast filtering
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 20:18:37 -0600

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 17:04:29 -0800 (PST)
"Kevin C. Almeroth"

> It would be worthwhile to have comments before, discuss during,
> and post a final recommendation.

I have begun constructing a page that does some of the things that
have been discussed here and other places in the past. It is
currently based off a post I made here back in July, but I wanted
to expand on it with input I've gotten from others (haven't gotten
to all that yet), Cisco config examples and some brief descriptive
text as a reference. I'm not saying that this should be the
recommendation, but it could be a reference point and I would love
to take some of the input that comes out of this discussion and feed
it into the page as appropriate.

<http://aharp.ittns.northwestern.edu/papers/mcast-template.html>

> (Personally, I'm fine with all but (5)... simply because it a
> general policy of blocking ranges of addresses that isn't
> consistently followed makes for hard-to-debug problems if we
> forget what we've blocked.)

Yep. I'd agree with that, though I do include them in the page I
reference above for completeness. The warnings are probably never
strong enough, but there they are there in any case.

John