wg-multicast - Re: Using DR priority for low latency forwarding

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Using DR priority for low latency forwarding

  • From: Peter John Hill <>
  • To: John Kristoff <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Using DR priority for low latency forwarding
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:50:51 -0800

Actually I think that PIM DR can change due to changes in the DR-Priority. (actually I know it does as I have done what I believe you are trying to do).

In order to do a low impact failover of a router for maintenance in an hsrp setup (I guess VRRP has similar metrics) you need to move both unicast and multicast away from the router for traffic in both directions...

For unicast in from the edge, you can lower the hsrp priority. Brainstorming with one of the workstudies at CMU we came up with an idea to use the interface tracking to track a loopback interface that was configured for just this purpose. It has no ip address. Its only function is to change hsrp priority by having the interfaces track this loopback... Warning, make sure your priority never ends up less than 1 or else it will effectively prevent the router from being hsrp active. This seems to be taking liberties with the RFC, since this does not need to be the way to work...

For unicast from the distribution layer to the edge, increase the ospf cost on the uplinks pointing to your core, this will also move multicast traffic inbound from the core to your edge.

For multicast out from your edge (sources) you need to lower the pim dr-priority on all your interfaces. If you have alot of traffic, you want to do this slowly, as it will potentially cause CPU spikes on the router that is now becoming the DR (the other router). You need to watch the cpu carefully on that router or your effort will be spoiled by your other router dropping out of ospf potentially.

Good luck!
Peter John Hill

John Kristoff wrote:

I have a situation where I have a pair of Cisco routers attached to the
same edge LAN segment in a redundant configuration. I'd like to try to
minimize packet loss when one of the routers is intentionally brought
down for maintenance activity. In my case there will more likely be
high-rate multicast receivers on the edge segment rather than sources,
but reducing sender loss/latency is probably most important.

I see that my recent IOS code there is a 'ip pim dr-priority <#>' option
in interface mode only. In a cursory search it appears that IOS XR has
a global option so hopefully that is on the horizon for existing trains
of code. In either case I was planning on testing this option to see
what I can expect during planned maintenance activities, but thought I
would check with folks here to see if this is the right and worthwhile
path to go down.

Is there a better way to minimize or eliminate multicast forwarding loss
in a scenario such as this? It's not clear to me exactly what will
happen in real-time situations when the DR priority is changed from one
interface to another. Any pointers to PIM join/prune state examples
when a new DR priority is announced by a peer interface. I presume the
new DR priority will be announced during the next random interval.

John