wg-multicast - Multicast traffic causes unicast drops in cisco 15454 SONET mux?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Multicast traffic causes unicast drops in cisco 15454 SONET mux?

  • From: Peter Gutierrez <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Multicast traffic causes unicast drops in cisco 15454 SONET mux?
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 10:15:23 -0500

My Internet 2 traffic is using a new circuit provisioned by a provider
that I Wil^H^H on't Tel the name of here, who is claiming that some
small but persistent unicast packet loss is caused by a problem
handling PIM traffic. We connect to what they call a Cerent box, which
I assume is the cisco (that borg'ed Cerent) ONS 15454 SONET mux, via
GigEthernet, that is carried around the SONET ring in an OC12 slice,
average traffic rate 100Mbs, and hands off GigE to a cicso 6509 router.
Does anyone else have the same transport system, with problems caused
by multicast traffic?

--
Peter Gutierrez OIT/Network Services U. Massachusetts Amherst
Voice: 413 545 1606 Fax: 413 545 3203

Opinions? "Ain't nobody's business but my own" - Irving Taylor