wg-multicast - Re: Best Practice

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Best Practice

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: Richard Machida <>
  • Cc: wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: Best Practice
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:28:40 -0500

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 01:20:11PM -0900, Richard Machida wrote:
> is there a "best practices" document for IPv4 multicast deployment
> within in a university environment? I ran into an older document on a
> Google search that recommended black-holing some group addresses.

If you're talking about which groups to filter at your edge (and possibly at
internal boundaries) and/or block MSDP SAs for, there's this Internet-Draft:

ftp://ftp.isi.edu/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mboned-ipv4-mcast-unusable-01.txt

There have also been some lists circulated around this group, and I think the
latest is here:

http://www.abilene.iu.edu/mccook.html

Bill.