wg-multicast - Precedent for using DNS to document multicast addresses?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Precedent for using DNS to document multicast addresses?

  • From: "Charles R. Anderson" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Precedent for using DNS to document multicast addresses?
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:34:57 -0500

I was thinking about using a DNS zone for documenting our use of
multicast addresses (mainly in our GLOP space, but SSM use could be
interesting for source discovery). Is there any precedent for doing
this? Can/will the Class D in-addr.arpa zones be delegated to GLOP
owners? Are there any applications that will do DNS queries for
multicast addresses? What are others' thoughts on this topic?

Thanks.

  • Precedent for using DNS to document multicast addresses?, Charles R. Anderson, 11/24/2003