wg-multicast - RE: Question about Multicast Filtering (MLDv2/IGMPv3)

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: Question about Multicast Filtering (MLDv2/IGMPv3)

  • From:
  • To: bharat_joshi <>
  • Cc: , ,
  • Subject: RE: Question about Multicast Filtering (MLDv2/IGMPv3)
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:20:24 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

I think there are two possibilities too, but not the same as yours
as I didn't considered the fact that there could be multiple multicast
routers on the LAN. So here are the possibilties that I consider :

1) The DR stay on the shared tree toward the RP, even if it receives
an INCLUDE{S} report on an interface, because the flow coming from
S travels already within the shared Tree, so no Join (S,G,spt) is
triggered and no prune(S,G,rpt) too.

2) The DR decide to switch toward S, even if it already has an EXCLUDE{}
state on it's interface, and prune the shared tree. I see here
potentials duplicates and lost of paquets, but this is another
story...

This raises another question : as in ASM and PIM-SM without source
filtering/selection it was clear that the switch toward the RSPT was
controlled and maintained by the DR's, now if the multicast hosts can
decide if they stay on the shared/RSPT tree (possibilities 1), when a host
has switched toward the RSPT, how does it know that this source is not
active anymore apart from the fact that this information may be present in
higher layer protocols (RCTP/SIP) ?

Thanks,

Hoerdt Mickael
LSIIT Laboratory Strasbourg France