wg-multicast - SSM-capable DVTS

Subject: All things related to multicast

SSM-capable DVTS

  • From: Hitoshi Asaeda <>
  • To:
  • Subject: SSM-capable DVTS
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:26:09 +0200 (MEST)

Hi all.

I introduce you patches to make DVTS (Degital Video Transmission
System) (*1) enable SSM.
DVTS, which has been developed by WIDE project, provides high quality
DV stream transmission on IEEE1394 encapsulated into IP. DVTS supports
both unicast and multicast communications on top of IPv4 and IPv6
respectively.
Regarding this effort, both of research and industrial domains would
be interested in such high quality video transmission.

My patches (*2) applied to "dvrecv" and "xdvshow" give an SSM
capability to them.
DVTS uses 30Mbps data rate, therefore high bandwidth network is the
requirement, but I believe having good opportunity and experience with
attractive SSM applications even in intra-domain or just in a small
network would encourage SSM deployment. (I rather hope doing it in
wide area though.)

So, anyway, let's enjoy.:)

SSM-capable kernel is the prerequisite to make them work.
(Of course you can use SSM-capable DVTS on non SSM-capable kernel, but
you cannot enable it and can play as an ASM application. That's all.)
I've only tested xdvshow on NetBSD-current including my IGMPv3/MLDv2
implementations, but either dvrecv or on other BSDs with KAME patch
would be also fine for it, I guess.

Further info may be found in following pages.

(*1) http://www.sfc.wide.ad.jp/DVTS
(*2) http://www-sop.inria.fr/planete/Hitoshi.Asaeda/dvts
--
Hitoshi Asaeda

p.s. DVTS related questions and comments should not be discussed in