wg-multicast - Re: [Mtp] the more things change, the more they stay the same

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: [Mtp] the more things change, the more they stay the same

  • From: Bill Fenner <>
  • To:
  • Cc: , , ,
  • Subject: Re: [Mtp] the more things change, the more they stay the same
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 17:04:15 -0700
  • Versions: dmail (solaris) 2.5a/makemail 2.9d

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 02:17:38PM -0700, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> It was never clear to me why a host to router signaling mechanism had
> to be different from the router to router signaling mechanism.

Here's one reason: because if we had this conversation in 1993 we
would have made the host to router signalling mechanism DVMRP, or
maybe we would have been looking toward the future and made it MOSPF.

The generalization of that is the goal is to be able to evolve
the routing protocol independently of the host<>router interface.
Since there are orders of magnitudes more hosts to change than
routers when a protocol changes, this theoretically makes the
infrastructure more able to change piecemeal.

Bill