wg-multicast - Re: Multicast implementation recommendation

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Multicast implementation recommendation

  • From: Peter John Hill <>
  • To: "Lappa, Joseph" <>
  • Cc: <>
  • Subject: Re: Multicast implementation recommendation
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:11:59 -0500

On Tuesday, March 18, 2003, at 09:09 AM, Lappa, Joseph wrote:

Hi,
We are thinking of two possible scenarios:

1) Make each of our core Cisco 6500s MSDP peers with each other
(full mesh), with our Junipers, and configure Anycast-RP with
PIM-SM.

This is what we are doing up the street at CMU. We have to "core" 6509s and 20 distribution 6509s. We use option
#10 from: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/iosw/tech/rppim_rg.htm
which is said to give:
Strength and Weaknesses of Anycast—Auto-RP—sparse-mode
Convergence: Excellent
Redundancy: Excellent
Ease of use: Excellent
Scoping: Excellent
Safety: Excellent
Load balancing: Excellent

Our border router is doing mbgp with our provider, and we have an msdp mesh with the two core routers and the border. Then PIM sparse-mode to the distribution.

It works very well. It took some time to get it all working, but it is pretty solid now.

Questions are:

What is the prefered method these days determining RP? Anycast-RP or
BSR?

My vote for Anycast

Are there any problems in running Anycast-RP with HSRP?

Not sure, but curious, since we are looking into using it.

How hard is it to debug problems with Anycast-RP vs. PIM BSR?

We have a document that someone in our group got at the last Nanog conference that is step by step debugging multicast. We could send you a copy. We find that it works so well, and we need to troubleshoot it so little, that when we do, we need to ramp up our understanding (knowledge has a halflife). It is handy to have a step by step guide.

Will MSDP updates cause a big hit on our 6500 MSFCs?

We are running sup1a/msfc 1s and have not noticed any major problems.

Thanks,
Joe Lappa
University of Pittsburgh

We should get some of your people and our people together for lunch sometime. We have a small group of three working on a new network architecture, if you have a similar group, it would be nice to see what things you have been doing, what has worked, what hasn't, and vice versa. Let me know.

Peter Hill
Network Engineer
Carnegie Mellon University

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:3.0
N:Hill;Peter John;;;
FN:Peter John Hill
ORG:Carnegie Mellon University;
TITLE:Network Engineer
EMAIL;type=HOME;type=pref:
EMAIL;type=WORK:
EMAIL;type=INTERNET:
EMAIL;type=INTERNET:
TEL;type=HOME;type=pref:412 521 2933
TEL;type=WORK:412 268 4932
TEL;type=CELL:412 260 2631
TEL;type=FAX:412 268 4987
ADR;type=HOME;type=pref:;;5835 Alderson Street\nApt. 9;Pittsburgh;PA;15217-2438;United States
ADR;type=WORK:;;4910 Forbes Avenue\nCyert Hall - 220;Pittsburgh;PA;15213;United States
URL:homepage.mac.com/peterjhill
BDAY;value=date:1969-07-15
X-AIM;type=HOME;type=pref:
END:VCARD