wg-multicast - Re: SSM video apps

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: SSM video apps

  • From: Ross Finlayson <>
  • To: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • Cc: , ,
  • Subject: Re: SSM video apps
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 05:25:03 -0800

At 02:39 PM 1/8/03, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
Did you see that multicast made slashdot :

Developers: DIY Ethernet Audio Receiver
HardwarePosted by michael on Wednesday January 08, @09:53AM
from the fly-by-wire dept.
geo writes "I created this site to describe my latest toy: a digital audio multicast receiver. LANPipe receives 16-bit, 44.1 kHz audio multicast from a PC based server. The server uses a Winamp plug-in, so LANPipe can play almost any source format (mp3, ogg, uncompressed). It even has a digital audio output. The receiver uses a custom CPU written in VHDL and implemented on a Xilinx FPGA. This was a fun project that is best appreciated by fellow hardware geeks."

http://www.thepowleys.com/lanpipe/

This look like a fun hack. It would have been even cooler if their streaming PCM/multicast protocol used RTP (payload format 0). (They don't say for sure, but they probably just handle PCM packed in plain ol' UDP multicast packets.)

Ross.