wg-multicast - Re: SSM video apps

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: SSM video apps

  • From: Ross Finlayson <>
  • To: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • Cc: ,
  • Subject: Re: SSM video apps
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 13:49:23 -0800

At 01:04 PM 1/8/03, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
For the next I2 multicast workshop we would like to have the students send and receive video using
cheap webcams and SSM on redhat Linux.

Does anyone know of a solution for this - the key is having SSM capable video receivers that work
with Linux and whatever video standard the webcam uses ?

Marshall,

I'd suggest using "MPlayer" as a client, configured to use the "LIVE.COM Streaming Media" libraries: http://www.live.com/mplayer

As you know, these libraries support SSM (if it's implemented in the underlying OS, of course). Turning on SSM reception based on a SDP description (from either a ".sdp" file, or from RTSP) isn't yet implemented, but this is just a SMOP (Small Matter of Programming) to be done at my end...

At the other end, for video capture & streaming, you could probably use "vic".

Ross.