wg-multicast - Re: Multicast and Foundry

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Multicast and Foundry

  • From: "David Farmer" <>
  • To: "j.linn" <>
  • Cc: <>
  • Subject: Re: Multicast and Foundry
  • Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 17:50:40 -0600

We are using Multicast on a Foundry Big Iron but it
is only a PIM-SM router, not the RP or running
MBGP or MSDP. But I am interested in people's
experience running it as a PIM-SM RP as well as
MBGP and MSDP on it because I may need to
change my border topology in a way that would
require it to run those protocols.

On 3 Dec 2002 j.linn wrote:

> As someone who has just joined the wg-multicast, I must confess to an
> ulterior motive, that is trying to contact anyone who has used a Foundry
> BigIron to connect to the Internet with PIM-Sparse.
>
> I have seen the paper "hamster.doc" which shows local inter-operability
> and not sure why it all work and my configuration only works partially.
>
> We tested it out today and MBGP works, MSDP knows about the source IP
> addresses and groups, and a client could join and receive traffic.
>
> However the client could not become the source for multicast traffic. It
> looked like PIM did not pass on the IP address of the client with the
> group not did it pass it to its MSDP peer.
>
> Therefore interested in hearing from anyone with Foundry kit (Bigiron 8000
> software release 7.6.1)
>
> John Linn
> Network Development Manager
> University of Aberdeen