wg-multicast - Multicast and Foundry

Subject: All things related to multicast

Multicast and Foundry

  • From: "j.linn" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Multicast and Foundry
  • Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 17:19:37 +0000 (GMT)

As someone who has just joined the wg-multicast, I must confess to an
ulterior motive, that is trying to contact anyone who has used a Foundry
BigIron to connect to the Internet with PIM-Sparse.

I have seen the paper "hamster.doc" which shows local inter-operability
and not sure why it all work and my configuration only works partially.

We tested it out today and MBGP works, MSDP knows about the source IP
addresses and groups, and a client could join and receive traffic.

However the client could not become the source for multicast traffic. It
looked like PIM did not pass on the IP address of the client with the
group not did it pass it to its MSDP peer.

Therefore interested in hearing from anyone with Foundry kit (Bigiron 8000
software release 7.6.1)

John Linn
Network Development Manager
University of Aberdeen