wg-multicast - Re: RP configuration

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: RP configuration

  • From: John Zwiebel <>
  • To: "Danijela Bedic" <>
  • Cc: <>
  • Subject: Re: RP configuration
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 09:53:44 -0800

If your network is going to strictly pass multicast packets between
sites such that the only need for an RP is to: a) originate MSDP
messages for sources that have registered with a particular RP and;
b) to allow receivers to always join to the SPT, then option 2 is the
best choice. This is also the choice of major ISPs which only transit
multicast traffic and never (or very rarely) originated traffic inside their
PIM domain.

NOTE: there is "no such thing" as a shared-tree between
PIM domains. It is theoretically possible to set this up, but would
require some administrative cooperation between PIM domains to
ensure allocation of multicast groups to a particular RP address --
and in that case, you should probably not use anycast-RP since
you would then have two or more roots on the shared-tree with
each root having to join to the SPT for each source, causing that
SPT to cross some branches of the shared-path of the other anycast
RPs leading to all kinds of problems you don't want to have to
think about.

Neither is there any way for an anycast-RP member to set up a
"SPT-like" forwarding path that only goes to the other anycast-RP
members.

If you are considering providing RP services to several customers,
so you can set up interdomain shared-trees, well, you'lll be blazing
a new trail.

However, you may have the administrative control over all multicast
within your association of networks. (I doubt it) In this case, you may
consider option 1.

Option 3 doesn't provide you anything that option 2 doesn't and just
makes life more complicated.

The point is, the most efficient distribution of mpackets across a large
network is going to be through setting up shortest-path trees. The
"best" way of making this happen with ASM (or ISM) is with anycast-RP.

A "better" way of making this happen is to convince your application
developers that you want IGMPv3 and SSM.