wg-multicast - My first question...

Subject: All things related to multicast

My first question...

  • From: "Leonardo Rinaldi" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: My first question...
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 17:40:31 +0200

Dear all,

            I’ have been just joined to Multicast WG and this is my first question for you.

I’ m technical manager of  "TOPIX project" (Turin and Piedmont Internet Exchange).

TOPIX (Turin and Piedmont Internet eXchange) is a consortium no-profit, based in Turin (Italy), formed by  public entities and main private Internet  operators in Italy.The mission of this Consortium is to create an Internet Exchange Point to  stimulate communication between actors that constitute economical system in Piedmont (Public Administration, enterprises and citizens) by facilitation of peering between Internet operators .

TOPIX will be a territorially distributed Internet Exchange Point, strongly oriented towards innovative technologies (MULTICAST and IPv6) to substain development of new generation services. On TOPIX platform (absolutely neutral) you can stipulate unicast (commercial or not), multicast (MBGP and MSDP) and Ipv6 peering agreement

I would like joining to Multicast WG to compare our ideas and verify correctness of our technological approach.

TOPIX multicast  architecture will be based on architecture  stellar topology (but I would like have some comments from you about this idea.....) : the "centre of star" is Rendevouz-Point (RP) of Topix Autonomous System  and connected operators get up MBGP and MSDP sessions with TOPIX RP.

So TOPIX RP can be act as “Multicast HUB” able to propagate towards all informations about multicast sources that are in ASs of   connected Members.

In this way :

1) every member hasn’t to configure MSDP and MBGP session with each other but only with TOPIX RP.

2) one connection (MSDP and MBGP session ) between TOPIX RP and another multicast aggregation point in the world can be used by all Members Can you help me for this purpose?  Is there – into I2 community – someone interested to make a MBGP and MSDP session with TOPIX RP, also by a GRE tunnel over Internet in experimental phase?

                regards,

                                Leonardo

  • My first question..., Leonardo Rinaldi, 09/11/2002