wg-multicast - list WG-MULTICAST: List Message Rejected (fwd)

Subject: All things related to multicast

list WG-MULTICAST: List Message Rejected (fwd)

  • From: "Kevin C. Almeroth" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: list WG-MULTICAST: List Message Rejected (fwd)
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 14:11:25 -0700 (PDT)

From: Laura Grill
<>
To: John Zwiebel
<>,

Subject: Re: Configuring an RP

This is very timely information for us since we are deploying TV to the dorms
via multicast. This is great information, but I have a few questions:

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 11:38:56AM -0700, John Zwiebel wrote:

[...]>

> Where are we now?
>

> -- Auto-RP allows you to scope "service areas" within your domain. At
> this time, no organization has ever shown the need to do this because
> the amount of multicast traffic isn't that great. But the idea is
> that you might define an RP for "manufacturing" to use the range
> 239.123/16 and another RP for "marketing" to use that same range.
> You -can not- do this with the Bootstrap router.

I think we are doing this with BSR but maybe I"m confused. We have an RP
for our admin groups (239/8) and use BSR to announce this. We have an access
list that supposedly is restricting the announcement so that only 239/8's are
being announced via BSR (this is on a cisco 6509). We have a 2nd RP for
all other groups and this is announcing itself via auto-RP.... it has an ACL
that tells it to announce 224/4 (which includes 239/8). We were told that
this is okay because the more specific 239/8 will take precedence as the RP.
Does that sound right?

> Which is "best"?
> Whether auto-RP or the bootstrap router is "best" has not been determined.
> In practice, I know of -no- organization that uses more than one RP.
> Since the shared-tree in PIMv2 has proven to be rather cumbersome to use
> most organizations switch immediately to the SPT.

I don't understand this last sentence. I thought using the shared tree
could not be avoided in PIM. Isn't that the way it always works -- shared
tree
until the SPT is discovered. How does one avoid using the shared tree with
PIM?