wg-multicast - Multicast on Abilene

Subject: All things related to multicast

Multicast on Abilene

  • From: "Mark Quigley" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Multicast on Abilene
  • Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 10:12:29 -0700

I apologize if this message was sent to an improper destination; I just came
back from the Joint Techs workshop in Boulder and wanted to ask the
following question about Multicast on Abilene.

At present, we has multicast configured on our border and on most IP
segments within our LAN. We are an all-Cisco shop (7507's on the border,
6500's in the core, and 1900's, 2900's, and 2950's at the access layer). We
are not having any problems taking advantages of multicast services on
Abilene. My
concern is the plethora of mroutes showing up within our LAN.

When multicast was first configured back in 1999, Greg Sheppard assisted me
in getting the folowing config setup on the border:
ip multicast-routing distributed
ip multicast cache-headers rtp
..snip..
ip pim bidir-enable
ip pim send-rp-announce Loopback0 scope 255
ip pim send-rp-discovery scope 255
ip pim register-rate-limit 10
ip msdp peer 198.48.91.25
ip msdp sa-filter out 198.48.91.25 list 110
ip msdp cache-sa-state

My concern is the "255" settings shown above... is there a preferred setting
for the scope (on Abilene)? I suspect the 255 is a bit over-engineered. Your
assistance is greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Mark
p.s. If this was sent to you in error, please forgive me and forward to an
appropriate individual. URLs to multicast recipes are also welcome. Thanks
again.

-
Mark Quigley (208) 885 6721 ph
Information Technology Services (208) 885 7539 fax
University of Idaho

Moscow ID 83844-3155 http://www.uidaho.edu/~markq