wg-multicast - link-layer IP multicast vs. L2 switches

Subject: All things related to multicast

link-layer IP multicast vs. L2 switches

  • From: Alan Crosswell <>
  • To:
  • Subject: link-layer IP multicast vs. L2 switches
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 12:52:32 EDT

Does anybody know if there's a way to get link-layer IP multicast to do
the "right thing"? I discovered that my link-layer multicasts were being
flooded by my Catalyst 4000 switch. I think maybe this is just the way it
is since I would guess that by definition link-layer multicast doesn't ever
speak to the IGMP router.

I guess I will implement my subnet multicast with admin-scoped groups and
filters on my routers instead....

Comments, corrections, commissertaion? :-)

/a