wg-multicast - Re: Multicast, GRE and Linux....

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Multicast, GRE and Linux....

  • From: "Marshall Eubanks" <>
  • To: Dave Hartzell <>,
  • Subject: Re: Multicast, GRE and Linux....
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:25:01 -0500

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:58:01 -0500
Dave Hartzell
> Hi-
>
> Just wondering if anyone has messed with GRE, Multicast
> and Linux. What
> I'm doing is setting up a GRE tunnel between a multicast
> enabled Cisco
> and a Linux box. I'm doing this because the network the
> Linux box is on
> cannot support multicast at this time, and I'm a glutton
> for punishment.
>
> Everything works well on the Linux box when receiving
> multicast from
> Abilene, but sourcing a stream from the Linux box doesn't
> work. The
> packets don't get routed to the tunnel, just out the
> local Ethernet
> device, even though there is a multicast entry in the
> routing table
> explicitly pointing at the gre tunnel interface.

Various questions for various possibilities -

Are you running PIM-SM or something else ? Are you running
MBGP, or is this interior routing only ?

What is doing the routing on the Linux side ?

Are you dealing with the Linux sourced
IGMP traffic on the Linux side of the
tunnel - or is it going through the tunnel ?

PIM-SM specific : Are there joins coming _out_ of the GRE
tunnel towards the Linux box ? If your first hop router is
before the tunnel, then joins have to traverse it for it to
send the data. It could thus be a routing problem on the far
end.

Are you doing MSDP ? Are you trying to put MSDP unicast
traffic through the tunnel ? Could your MSDP SA messages be
avoiding the tunnel and thus fail RPF checks ?

Regards
Marshall Eubanks