wg-multicast - Multicast, GRE and Linux....

Subject: All things related to multicast

Multicast, GRE and Linux....

  • From: Dave Hartzell <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Multicast, GRE and Linux....
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:58:01 -0500

Hi-

Just wondering if anyone has messed with GRE, Multicast and Linux. What I'm doing is setting up a GRE tunnel between a multicast enabled Cisco and a Linux box. I'm doing this because the network the Linux box is on cannot support multicast at this time, and I'm a glutton for punishment.

Everything works well on the Linux box when receiving multicast from Abilene, but sourcing a stream from the Linux box doesn't work. The packets don't get routed to the tunnel, just out the local Ethernet device, even though there is a multicast entry in the routing table explicitly pointing at the gre tunnel interface.

Any ideas? I'm running 2.4.14...maybe something is broken?

Thanks!

Dave Hartzell