wg-multicast - Re: QoS requirements of multicast applications

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: QoS requirements of multicast applications

  • From: "Marshall Eubanks" <>
  • To: Toerless Eckert <>, Goorah Shravan <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: QoS requirements of multicast applications
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 05:05:04 -0500

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002 23:25:53 -0800

Hello Goorah;

We decided a while ago that FEC was essential to a good
user experience, and have implemented and deployed a lossy
FEC to our audio streams for On-the-I.com (see
www.mctplayer.com).
This actually works really well, and we hope to apply the
same to video in the relatively near future.

One advantage of FEC is that it is something that you can
actually do on the Internet. I might point out that much of
the packet loss that we see in our multicast receiver
reports are _not_ due to congestion, and it is hard to see
how QOS is going to help that. IMHO, the money and effort
put into QOS would frequently be better spent in improving
the underlying network.

Of course, there are things that you can do without an FEC
implementation. For example, we use a small GOP (Group of
Pictures) in our MPEG-1 broadcasts, which helps keep the
effects of packet loss down. A GOP of 15+ pictures is just
asking for trouble, as (as Toerless said) one dropped packet
can ruin 1/2 second of video.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks

Toerless Eckert