wg-multicast - Re: multicast disconectivity?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: multicast disconectivity?

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: Marshall Eubanks <>, Amel Caldwell <>
  • Cc: Alan Crosswell <>,
  • Subject: Re: multicast disconectivity?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 13:40:49 -0500

At 11:16 AM -0500 2/27/02, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
Well - my bgp to Columbia is here to vBNS (AS 145) to NYSERNET3-
AS 3754 to AS 14.

I am getting other SA's (and traffic) through AS 145
I am getting SA's from AS 73 WASHINGTON.

I am _not_ getting any SA's from or through AS 3754.
So, I conclude that there is a black hole at Nysernet.

Actually on the border between NYSERNet and vBNS, from the looks of it. We had configured MBGP between the two networks a long time ago, but for some reason neither side set up MSDP or PIM. I think it went unnoticed for so long because none of the other NYSERNet sites directly attached to our Junipers were running multicast (all the other NYSERNet sites are ATM connected, and have their own individual PVCs to vBNS). I configured our end and the vBNS folks are doing theirs.

But that doesn't explain Alan's other problems, which I'm still looking at.

However - just to be perverse - I do see SA's from

AS 3756 - the other Nysernet AS - where their beacon
is.

In the NLANR beacon page, we see the adelie.nysernet.org
beacon, but it does not see us.

The problem for us is more convoluted. The NYSERNet office, home of the beacons showing up as nysernet.org, is one of the ATM connected sites. However, our PVC to the vBNS is not carrying any traffic at present, nor are we exchanging routes. Since our Junipers are hearing the route directly from vBNS and indirectly through Abilene, they prefer the vBNS route. But our internal configuration assumes that any ATM-connected site will get their routes directly from vBNS, and suppresses those advertisements. So we don't hear the route from Abilene (via the Junipers) or from vBNS.

The fix, obviously, is to restore routing from this site to the vBNS, but the last time we did that it caused other problems due to our internal configuration quirks. We happen to have an IOS upgrade scheduled for this afternoon, and once we're through with that I may try turning vBNS routing back on for the office to see what is fixed, and what breaks ;)

Bill.