wg-multicast - SNMP Attack & Multicast

Subject: All things related to multicast

SNMP Attack & Multicast

  • From: (John Watters)
  • To:
  • Subject: SNMP Attack & Multicast
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:21:15 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

In trying to figure out what version of Cisco IOS I need to install in
order to avoid the recently announced impending SNMP attacks on the 53
different models of Cisco equipment that I currently run, I have run
(yet again) across the confusing matrix of what IOS and CAT OS version
supports what. I would like to ask the group several specific questions
(and I suspect that others will follow re other platforms) as follows:

1) What IOS is recommended as an ISP version that gives good multicast
support and resolves the SNMP problem?

2) What IOS is recommended for campus use (IP, IPX, & a very little
AppleTalk) for CAT6500s with MSFCs that gives good multicast support and
resolves the SNMP problem?

3) What CAT OS is recommended for campus use for CAT6500s that gives
good multicast support and resolves the SNMP problem? Looks like the
answer to this one is 6.3(5).

In fact, it might be nice if someone on this group that is aware of the
varieties in Cisco code and the requirements of multicast as well as
awareness of what is necessary to solve the SNMP problem would post a
matrix of recommended versions. (I know that's asking a lot, but I
suspect that a number of us would find it very useful. And, it should be
kept up to date, not just done as a one-time thing now.)

And, I do have the recommended SNMP filters applied, and have had for a
number of years. But, that is marked as a partial workaround, not a fix.

THANKS VERY MUCH to any who respond.

John Watters U of AL: Seebeck Computer Center 205/348-3992