wg-multicast - RE: yet another MPEG2 demo stream

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: yet another MPEG2 demo stream

  • From: Alan Crosswell <>
  • To: Richard Mavrogeanes <>
  • Cc: "'Alan Crosswell '" <>, "' '" <>, Richard Mavrogeanes <>,
  • Subject: RE: yet another MPEG2 demo stream
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:54:53 EST

Hi Rich,

Burt Feldman's way ahead of you:-)

We are getting demo units here and at the University of Oklahoma
delivered on Tuesday. The multicast I'll be doing will be of a live
two-way musical theater workshop being put on by the Manhattan School
of Music and the UO school of music.
(http://www.columbia.edu/acis/networks/advanced/broadway_local)

We plan on using vbricks for the two-way video. We've both been using
Littons for a long time....

I've demoed the vbrick mpeg2 unit several times here both within our
campus network and with the University of Connecticut but, having
spent $20K on a Litton and having no money left, I've been holding off
on a purchase just yet! Not to mention the fact that you MPEG2
competitors still haven't become interoperable with each other for
point-to-point conferencing which puts a real damper on me getting a
box that can't work with an Amnis, Minerva or Carrier Access box which
is what my peers have (along with Vbricks of course).

If and when you have a streampump that runs on a real, supportable server
operating system (Solaris, Linux) please let me know!

Thanks.

/a