wg-multicast - Re: I2 and T1

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: I2 and T1

  • From: Rick Summerhill <>
  • To: Hans Kuhn <>
  • Cc: Marshall Eubanks <>, Internet 2 mail list <>, MbonedD List <>
  • Subject: Re: I2 and T1
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 11:20:07 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Hans Kuhn wrote:

> Marshall,
>
> When we do NANOG and IETF, we use 1000 Kbit/s for that very
> reason.
>
> The folks at I2, probably didn't think about this issue
> since OC-3 is generally the smallest pipe that I2
> institutions have (modulo Hawaii and maybe one or two
> others that got exemptions).

Yes, I think that is the assumption. I have a FR half T1 to my home office,
connected to our gigapop and multicast enabled, but the stream is just
large enough to be disruptive. Had to resort to real at 256. Sigh! -:)
BTW, the h.261 internal channel 2 from UO isn't bad for me. -:)

--Rick

--
Rick Summerhill Executive Director, GPN
5008 Canyon Road